|From:||Redcar bypass (NZ608224)|
|Distance:||1.6 miles (2.6 km)|
|Now part of:||B1269|
|Route outline (key)|
The A1040 was a short link road in north Yorkshire.
The road started on the original line of the A174 (the now-unclassified Redcar Road) to the south of Redcar and ran north along Redcar Lane into the town centre, where it ended on the A1042. Although the 1922 Road Lists claim the northern end as Redcar Lifeboat Station (on the Esplanade, by the now-demolished pier) the A1042 actually ran along the High Street and so the A1040 ended there.
In 1984, the A1040 was renumbered as a northern extension of the B1269, which it remains, although road upgrades in the area mean that both ends have moved slightly south.