A1057 (Newcastle upon Tyne)
|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||Mosley Street (NZ249641)|
|To:||St Thomas' church, Haymarket (NZ247648)|
|Distance:||0.5 miles (0.8 km)|
|Met (1923):||A695, A696, A1|
|Route outline (key)|
The road started on the A695 Mosley Street and headed north along Pilgrim Street. After crossing the A696 Blackett Street the road name changed to Northumberland Street. A short distance further the road ended on the A1 Barras Bridge opposite St Thomas' church.
When the Tyne Bridge opened in 1928, it ran up to the Pilgrim Street/Mosley Street junction, causing all of the A1057 to become the new route of the A1. Since then, the creation of the Central Motorway East in Newcastle has downgraded the whole of the route. Northumberland Street is now pedestrianised.