|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||8.3 miles (13.4 km)|
|Meets:||A64, A59, B1227, A19, B1363, A1079, A1237|
|Route outline (key)|
The A1036 was originally just a short link in the middle of York. When the A64 bypass was opened in 1976 it was extended along the pre-bypass road through the city centre and now also includes the whole York inner ring road. However, it does not include the original A1036!
The original A1036 started on the A64 by the Minster then ran south along Low Petergate, Colliergate, Fossgate and Walmgate to end on Hope Street (originally A66, A1079 after 1924). When Paragon Street was built to bypass Hope Street, the A1036 was extended outside the walls. It is likely that the original A1036 was declassified in the 1970s with the completion of the inner ring road.