|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||West Hill (TA165670)|
|To:||Carnaby Moor (TA157642)|
|Distance:||2.7 miles (4.3 km)|
|Former Number(s):||A165, A1037|
|Old route now:||B1423|
|Route outline (key)|
The route starts to the west of Bridlington where it runs along Bessingby Road, initially heading towards the town centre as a dual-carriageway road which passes Bridlington and District General Hospital and Bridlington School, both on our left. After half a mile we come to a roundabout and the road narrows to S2 to cross the Hull to Bridlington railway line.
On the far side of the bridge we TOTSO sharp right (the road ahead is the B1254) to enter Kingsgate, which leads us out of Bridlington again, now heading south-westward. After two miles, having passed Bridlington Golf Course and the entrance to South Cliff holiday park, we meet the A165 again at Wilsthorpe Roundabout.
The road that was originally numbered A1038 in 1922 followed a course no part of which is shared by today's route. It ran from the Old Town to what is now the town centre (in 1922 this was a separate settlement, shown on maps as Bridlington Quay), where it ended at a triple-point meeting with the B1254 and A1037. There was no one-way system in Bridlington at that time.
The A1037 classification was later retired. This may have happened in the 1920s when its western half was taken over by the A165 or the remaining half may have lasted longer. Certainly the eastern half of what had been the A1037 became an extension of the A1038. Then, in the early 2010s, the A165 was rerouted back onto its original alignment through Carnaby, with the old A165 becoming the A1038. At the same time, the old A1038 became the B1423.
Bridlington Kingsgate was opened on 31 July 1923 by Lord Deramore, Chairman of East Riding County Council. The 2.5 mile road from Bridlington to Carnaby Moor, bypassing Carnaby, cost £37,000 of which £13,000 and a substantial amount of land was given by Col, A.G.W. Wright, D,L, of Bessingby Hall. It was one of the Unemployment Relief Road Schemes. It was 60 feet wide with a 24 foot carriageway. there were 8 foot footpaths within the Borough.