|From:||Dereham Road, Norwich (TG219090)|
|To:||Aylsham Road, Norwich (TG219110)|
|Via:||Old Palace Road, Mile Cross Road|
|Distance:||1.4 miles (2.3 km)|
|Meets:||A1074, A1067, A1402|
|Old route now:||A147, B1108|
|Route outline (key)|
The A1024 is a short road bypassing Norwich city centre to the west.
In 1922, it started on the A146 Ber Street to the southeast of the city centre and passed along Queens Road, Chapelfield Road, Earlham Road, and Heigham Road to end on the A47 Dereham Road to the west of the city centre.
Later, it was extended at both ends. In the 1920s, it was extended north along Old Palace Road, Heigham Street, and Mile Cross Road, most of which had been the A1074, to end on the A147 Aylsham Road. To the south, it took over a short section of the A146 Bracondale. Thus the A1024 formed a relief road for north-south traffic wanting to avoid the city centre and this route remained in place even after the ring road (initially numbered A1074) was built.
Much later, roads in the centre of Norwich were downgraded and the A147 number was given to the inner ring road, which took on most of the southern section of the A1024 (Heigham Road becoming unclassified). And thus it was the remaining northern section – a stretch that had not itself been classified in 1922 – that came to constitute the route of today's A1024.