B857 (Lochcarron - Shieldaig)
|Distance:||14.3 miles (23 km)|
|Met (1956):||A890, unclassified|
|Now part of:||A896|
|Route outline (key)|
The B857 is described in the 1922 Road Lists as Lochcarron - Shieldaig.
It started on the A890 (former B855) in Lochcarron and headed through the glens of Wester Ross. It cannoned off Loch Kishorn at Ardarroch before reaching the coast again at Shieldaig. The road ended at a pier on the near side of the village, whilst an unclassified road continued ahead for a short distance to reach a dead end.
In 1962/3 a new road was built along Loch Torridon between the B858 in Torridon itself and Shieldaig, which was bypassed, the new road joining the B857 just to the south of its northern terminus. The whole road from Lochcarron to Kinlochewe was then renumbered A896, except for the northern end in Shieldaig which was declassified, and the B857 number was temporarily consigned to the history books.