|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||28 miles (45.1 km)|
|Met:||A815, B836, unclassified|
|Now part of:||A886, B8000|
|Route outline (key)|
In 1922 the B837 was listed as the road from Strachur to Tighnabruaich.
Starting on the A815 on the shore of Loch Fyne the road followed the loch out to sea along the western side of the Cowal Peninsula, sometimes following the lochside and sometimes further inland. The road reached its southernmost point in Millhouse where it turned eastwards towards the Kyles of Bute. A ferry crossed the water to Bute itself from Kames, after which the B837 followed the coast through Tighnabruaich, ending without ceremony at one of the road junctions.
By 1932 this route had already become the A886. Later, in the second half of the 20th century, the A886 was itself rerouted south of Leanach, taking over the B836 as far as Auchenbreck and then the B8000 onto Bute. The B8000 number was then reused for the remainder of the vacated A886 (ex-B837) to Tighnabruaich. As such, the B837 is now numbered A886 from Strachur to Leanach, then is B8000 to Tighnabruaich, although the final few metres through the village appear to now be unclassified.