|From:||Carradale Village (NR797380)|
|To:||Carradale East Pier (NR819386)|
|Length:||1.5 miles (2.4 km)|
|Route outline (key)|
The B879 is a short link road halfway down the Kintyre Peninsula.
The road starts at a Y-junction with the B842 in the western part of Carradale village, known as Bridgend, outside The Glen bar and restaurant. From here it heads east, mostly through woodland until it has passed Carradale House. A Gold- and Silversmith is unexpectedly advertised on the right just before the Village Hall and then we come to the eastern part of Carradale village, known as Airds, with the school on the right and some side roads leading to the main residential part of the village. A slight bend takes the road past the Carradale Hotel and some large detached houses, before it drops down to the sea at the Harbour and Pier. A small car park is down to the left, just before the end of the road at the harbourside.
This route was not originally classified in 1922, but instead took a number initially allocated to a road on the Isle of Bute. This happened very early on, with the current route through Carradale already bearing the B879 number by 1932. Unfortunately, at present, maps of the intervening period cannot be found to detail when this happened.