B893 (Tigharry - Clachan)
|Distance:||8 miles (12.9 km)|
|Now part of:||A865|
|Route outline (key)|
In the 1922 Road Lists, there were no A roads on the Uists, so the main routes were given B numbers instead. As a result, the B893 number was allocated to the west coast road, the extension of the B891 from Tigharry southeastwards to the B892 at Clachan, a couple of miles north of the North Ford. There is no clear explanation as to why the B893 and B891 met end-on at Tigharry, instead of one number being used for the entire route, but similar situations occurred elsewhere.
This situation did not last long, however, with the A865 created by c. 1925 as the Uist spine road, absorbing the whole route of the original B893 and B891, explaining why the main road heads west before going south. The B893 number was reused elsewhere on the island presumably at the same time.