B851 (Inverness - Fort Augustus)
|To:||Fort Augustus (NH379091)|
|Distance:||33.3 miles (53.6 km)|
|Now part of:||B862, C1064|
|Route outline (key)|
According to the 1922 Road Lists, the original route of the B851 was mostly along what is now the B862. It was the only B road on the east side of Loch Ness, as opposed to the 3 routes which are there today. Looking more closely at the 1923 MOT Map, however, it becomes clear that whilst most of the route is now numbered as the B862, the northern end, leaving Inverness, is now unclassified.
The old B851 split from the route of the modern B862 on the banks of the River Ness, where it turned up Drummond Crescent, and so turned onto Stratherrick Road - a clue if ever there was one. This is also the route of General Wade's Military Road. After crossing the modern B8082 the B851 followed Essich Road out past Loch Ashie to meet the current B862 at the summit above Dores. This whole route is now classified by the Highland Council as the C1064.
However, the original route of the B851 must have been very short lived as it was renumbered as the A862 no later than 1925, although that road followed the modern route out of Inverness. The B851 number was presumably recycled almost immediately onto its current route.
In more recent years the road was downgraded to Class II status once more. This time it kept the same number and so is now the B862. That page gives more information about the road's history.