|From:||Tobermory Harbour (NM506553)|
|To:||Druim a' Chroinn (NM498551)|
|Via:||Back Brae, Dervaig Road|
|Distance:||0.7 miles (1.1 km)|
|Old route now:||B8073|
|Route outline (key)|
The B882 is the shortest B road on Mull, but then there are only three! It provides a link from the A848 round the harbour in Tobermory up to the B8073 on the edge of the village. The route is up Back Brae from the A848 then sharp left into Argyll Terrace, sharp right into Albert Street and then along Dervaig Road out of the small town. It ends on a sharp curve on the B8073.
Curiously, not all maps include the short hill climb up Back Brae away from the harbour as part of this road. Instead, they start it at the top of the hill. However, this may be a misreading of the OS symbols which show the road as single track with passing places, leading to Back Brae being white in the alternate white-orange dashing.
While this road may be one of the shortest B roads in Zone 8 today, it was originally much longer. The 1922 Road Lists states that it ran from Tobermory west through Dervaig to Calgary, and the 1923 MOT map shows that the modern route was not included. Instead, the B882 ran over part of what is now the B8073 from Tobermory to Calgary. However, by 1932 this route had already become part of an extended A848, which then also terminated at Calgary Bay, and the B882 was relegated to its current route. What is not clear is whether the original and current route ever co-existed, or if one replaced the other. Today, the A848 has been reduced once more, back to Tobermory, with the B8073 taking over the former route of the B882 from Tobermory to Calgary, and indeed on around the north of the island to Salen.