|To:||Kilchatten Bay (NS102549)|
|Distance:||8.3 miles (13.4 km)|
|Meets:||A844, B878, A844, unclassified|
|Route outline (key)|
The B881 is a road in two parts on the Isle of Bute.
Rothesay - Ambrismore
The northern section of the B881 starts in Rothesay, where it runs past the castle and along the High Street, and heads south west across the island. Along the way it passes the reservoirs of Loch Ascog, and then Loch Fad, before finding the island's largest natural loch - Loch Quien. Beyond the loch, with its crannogs, the road reaches the A844 at a sharp bend near Ambrismore, with the sandy beach of Scalpsie Bay tantalisingly close! There is then a multiplex east along that road for a couple of miles.
Kingarth - Kilchattan Bay
The southern section of the B881 starts outside the Kingarth Inn, with a wide junction. To start with, it heads east before curving south around the sandy expanse of Kilchatten Bay. The road then sticks to the coast as it turns south east, past the impressive line of stately Victorian villas, tenements and a few modern houses that make up the single-sided village. Apparently, this has been a popular resort for over a thousand years with Norse raiders often overwintering in this beautiful place! The B881 ends at the last house (and the end of the 20 zone), but the road continues to a small car park and the start of the West Island Way - Bute's take on the West Highland Way!
Unlike all the other Class II roads on Bute, the B881 has actually been extended from its length in 1922. It originally only consisted of the southern section, south of Kingarth. In the 1970s at the earliest, the road due south of Rothesay, originally the B845, was downgraded to Class II status and the B881 took up the route.