B852 (Glen Moriston)
|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||24 miles (38.6 km)|
|Now part of:||A887, A87|
|Route outline (key)|
The B852 as listed in the 1922 Road Lists follows the route of the modern A887 and then the A87 to Cluanie. This road was originally built by Thomas Telford as one of his Highland Roads, in this case connecting the Isle of Skye to the Great Glen. The B852 number applied to the section from Invermoriston west to Cluanie, from where the western section was numbered as part of the A87 to Kyle of Lochalsh.
The road was renumbered as the A887 sometime around 1930, as it is shown as that number on the 1932 OS map. This also shows the B852 in its new home, to the east of Loch Ness, suggesting the number was immediately recycled.
Until 1957, the A887, like its predecessor, extended all the way to Cluanie to meet the A87, but with the flooding of Loch Loyne, the A87 was diverted to the east and the two roads met at the present junction at Bun Loyne. West of here, the A87 largely follows a new route, with much of the ex-B852 submerged under the new Loch Cluanie. Whilst the road junction at the original western end of the B852, just before the Cluanie Inn, is still in existence it is easy to miss.