|Location Map ( geo)|
|To:||Leigh Beck, Canvey Island (TQ818832)|
|Distance:||5.7 miles (9.2 km)|
|Meets:||A13, A129, B1006, A130|
|Old route now:||A130|
|Route outline (key)|
The B1014 links Hadleigh, a town in the south Essex conurbation, with Canvey Island.
In 1922 the B1014 ended here by the station and the ferry to Canvey Island (which at that time was the only way of getting to the island apart from crossing Benfleet Creek at low tide). In 1931 a swing bridge was built connecting the island to the mainland and the B1014 was extended over it then onwards to the Dutch Village, Canvey Island village and Leigh Beck.
In the 1970s the A130 also gained access to Canvey Island and took over the B1014 for part of its route. The B1014 therefore now cannons off the A130 at a roundabout just to the south of its bridge (not the original 1930s one) before heading east through the Winter Gardens district to the centre of town. Here there is a one-way system where all the roads seem to be the B1014. The other end of the A130 is met at the southern end of the system but the B1014 continues to the east into Leigh Beck where it ends in the middle of Point Road at a mini-roundabout that seems to have no other purpose.