|To:||Newcastle upon Tyne (NZ247644)|
|Distance:||0.8 miles (1.3 km)|
|Met:||A1, A695, A696, A6086|
|Route outline (key)|
The A6126 was a short A-road on Tyneside. The road was originally the northern end of the A184. However, the rerouting of the A1 onto the Tyne Bridge in 1928 put this section of road out of zone; it was therefore given an appropriate renumbering.
The road turned off the A1 Gateshead High Street just south of the Tyne Bridge. It descended Church Street and ran underneath the bridge to meet Bottle Bank (which appears to have been the original line of the A184). The road then crossed the River Tyne on the Swing Bridge to enter Newcastle upon Tyne.
Having reached dry land the road bore right into Sandhill then left into Side, having to zigzag up the steep hill away from the river. It went under a high railway bridge carrying the East Coast Main Line and bore right into Dean Street. Still climbing the road headed north and crossed the A695 Mosley Street into Grey Street. Grey's Monument soon became visible ahead and the road ended when it reached it on the A696 Blackett Street. The A6086 Grainger Street also ended here.
Road improvements in the area mean that the A6126 number is now redundant. The road is now unclassified except for the short section along Sandhill which is part of the B1600. The northern end of the road, around Grey's Monument, is now pedestrianised.