B724 (Carrutherstown - Bowhouse)
|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||11.7 miles (18.8 km)|
|Now part of:||B725, current B724|
|Route outline (key)|
The B724 zigzagged across southern Dumfriesshire.
At its longest the road started on the B7020 in Dalton before heading vaguely southwestwards to Carrutherstown, where it crossed the A75 at a point now bypassed by the A-road. This was the original eastern end of the B724. From here the road continued in more-or-less the same direction to Ruthwell, where it zigzagged east for a short distance. It then turned to the west to follow the coast (well inland), making a long detour to cross a creek in Bankend. The road then followed the edge of the creek back to the coast, ending end-on on the B725 at Bowhouse, at an arbitrary point not made clear on the maps.
The road did not last long. It had (perhaps sensibly) been renumbered as an extension of the B725 by 1932. However, the B724 number was reused in the same area as an alternative to the A75 for most of the route from Annan to Dumfries. This has taken over the original B724 immediately north of Ruthwell, meaning that this section of road still has its original number.
|B724 (Carrutherstown - Bowhouse)|