|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||2 miles (3.2 km)|
|Meets:||A89, A725, A89|
|Route outline (key)|
The B753 is described in the 1922 Road Lists as Bye-Pass S. of Coatbridge.
The road starts at a roundabout on the A89 (former A8). It heads south along the largely residential Dundyvan Road to go under two railway lines and turn easterly. After more housing it reaches a roundabout on the A725 opposite Whifflet station.
Originally the B753 ended here; however, it was soon extended and there is a short multiplex south along the A725 before the B753 turns left at traffic lights onto Calder Street to regain its number. It goes over the railway line just south of Whifflet station before running through the suburb of Greenend. After turning left at a roundabout the road goes under an old railway bridge (now carrying a footpath) and continues north along Locks Street to end at a roundabout back on the A89.
On both the 1932 and 1936 OS Ten mile Maps, the route of the B753 is shown in Red in the Glasgow inset, suggesting it is an A road. No further mapping evidence to support or counter this has yet been found, however, it is worth considering the following. The A8 Glasgow to Edinburgh Road started construction in 1924, but was not fully open to traffic until the mid 1930s. It is therefore possible that in order to relieve traffic in Coatbridge town centre, the B753 route was temporarily upgraded to be an A road. Any number for this route is purely speculation at present, but in nearby Airdrie the A8010 was introduced at this time, and no known use of the A8007/8/9 numbers have yet been found.
In addition to the above, a number of OS large scale maps from the late 1930s-1960s number the eastern part of the B753 as the B758. However, as far as can be ascertained this is an error shown only at certain scales, with other scales correctly identifying the route as the B753 in the same time period.