B746 (Ayr - Galston)
|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||15.1 miles (24.3 km)|
|Met:||Firth of Clyde, A77, B747, A76, A71|
|Now part of:||A719, A77|
|Route outline (key)|
The B746 was a medium-length B-road in central Ayrshire.
The road started in the port of Ayr, on the north side of the River Ayr (about as far west as it was possible to be and still be on dry land). It then headed east along North Harbour Street into town, where it crossed the A77, and then entered open country.
The road continued northeastwards, passing few places of any size. After going over the Cessnock Water it crossed the A76 at Crossroads before going over a hill and descending into Galston. It ended in the town centre on Cross Street, the original line of the A71.
This road did not last long with its 1922 number. In the late 1920s, the section west of the A77 was downgraded completely. The section immediately east, more-or-less as far as the current A77 Ayr bypass, became the start of the A758 (which continued on to Mauchline) and the remainder became a southern extension of the A733.
This setup did not last long either as the 1935 renumberings changed the whole of the ex-B746 (except for the section west of the A77 into the dock which remained unclassified) into a northern extension of the A719, which it remains, except for a short section which is now buried under the A77 Ayr bypass.
|B746 (Ayr - Galston)|