|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||3.3 miles (5.3 km)|
|Meets:||A737, A78, A737|
|Old route now:||B752|
|Route outline (key)|
The B779 is a short B-road to the south of the Ayrshire town of Kilwinning.
It starts in the town centre at traffic lights on the A737. The road then heads south along Almswall Road and passes Almswall Park before bearing left at a roundabout to reach the dual-carriageway A78 bypass.
Continuing to follow the B779 is difficult. This junction is a LILO and the B779 then reappears just to the east, as a one-way road turning south off the A78, with no gap in the central reservation to allow turning (although there is a roundabout half a mile to the east).
The B779 turns south off the A78 and crosses the River Garnock. The road then becomes two-way (although anyone making it this far north is either lost or here deliberately). The road south is straight and wide - and hardly used. The road then bends to the left around a golf course to end at traffic lights on the A737 to the north of Irvine.
Originally the B779 appeared to be a southern bypass of Kilwinning. It started on the A78 (now A738) to the east of Stevenston. It then headed east along Dubbs Road and Byrehill Road to run along a short section of what is now A78 to meet its current route to the north of the Garnock bridge.
By 1932 the road had been moved onto its current route into Kilwinning, with the remainder being declassified. More recently the road was severed by the A78 (although to begin with there were gaps in the central reservation). The original western end of the B779 is now part of the B752.