|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||Shore Road, Stevenston (NS269411)|
|To:||Ardeer Mains (NS274421)|
|Via:||Caledonian Road, Dubbs Road|
|Distance:||1 miles (1.6 km)|
|Route outline (key)|
The B752 is a short link road in the Ayrshire town of Stevenston.
The present itinerary of the road starts at a point about 150 m south of Stevenston railway station, at the corner of Shore Road and Caledonian Road, by Ardeer parish church. After running eastward the length of the largely residential Caledonian Road, the route turns sharp left to enter a large roundabout junction providing access to the Stevenston Industrial Estate. From here, the B752 follows a "new build" route which sweeps generally northward on a course first bridging the railway line and then heading through fields towards Dubbs Road at Ardeer Mains, to end on the A738.
Prior to the construction – in the mid 1960s – of the new road serving the industrial estate, the B752 had followed a different route northward. Although it started at more-or-less the same point south of Stevenston railway station, it ran northward over the level crossing and followed Station Road and New Street to reach the town centre at the western end of Main Street (the then-A738), by the site of today's library. From here, a short, 100-metre dogleg left along Boglemart Street and then right, took it onto Glebe Street (a "new road" in 1904), which it then followed north to High Road (the A78 until that designation was reassigned to Glencairn Street which was constructed, at some time in the 1930s, to provide a northern bypass to the old main road). With the opening of Glencairn Street, the B752 was extended to meet it by a further 120 metres along Mayville Street (ending at GR NS264422).
To further confuse the issue, a 1938 1:2500 map of the area suggests that the dogleg was the other way, not using Glebe Street, but instead Schoolwell Street and then Mayville Street.
Even after the rerouting in the 1960s of most of the B752, Glebe Street and Mayville Street remained a detached section of the route for another 40 years – before being declassified in the general renumbering of local roads which accompanied the opening on 21 December 2004 of the "Three Towns" (Ardrossan, Saltcoats, and Stevenston) bypass.