The B736 is a secondary road in south Kirkcudbrightshire. Except for the section west of Castle Douglas, which is the original A75, the road was originally unclassified but got its number before 1932.
The road starts at a roundabout on the A75 at the western end of the Castle Douglas bypass. Threave Castle, now owned by Historic Scotland, can also be accessed from this roundabout. The B736 heads east along the pre-bypass A75 to reach Carlingwark Loch and then follows the lochside northwards, with the water sometimes visible on the right. The road then reaches Castle Douglas and enters town along King Street. At a crossroads in the town centre the road cannons off the A713; both roads TOTSO here as the priority still echoes the time the through route was the A75.
Towards Castle Douglas
Having turned right the B736 leaves town on St Andrew Street and meets the eastern side of Carlingwark Loch for a short distance before continuing south across the fields to meet the B727 at Breoch. We turn left at a T-junction and become the junior partner in a very short multiplex which ends with that road having to TOTSO left whilst we continue straight ahead. The road follows a winding route along the valley of the Doach Burn past Doach itself (a single cottage). The valley widens out as the road continues and presently the road ends at a T-junction on the A711 a short distance west of Palnackie.