|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||34 miles (54.7 km)|
|Meets:||A957, A90, A92, B9077, A93, B9119, A944, A96, B973, B977, A947, B999|
|Former Number(s):||A92, B981, B980, B996, B998|
|Route outline (key)|
Were it not for the fact that it zigzags all over the place, the B979 could be seen to be a western bypass of Aberdeen. The reason for this is that the road has been greatly extended from its original 1922 route.
Stonehaven - Blackburn
The current southern end of the B979 is at traffic lights in the centre of Stonehaven, where the A957 turns off to the left. The road heads north along Allardice Street, which is the original pre-bypass route of the A92. After crossing the Cowie Water a mini-roundabout is reached, where the B979 turns off to the left; this marks the original southern end of the road - although the exact spot was just to the north of the bridge along a road now closed to traffic.
The road runs through the outer suburbs of town before going under the Dundee to Aberdeen railway line and then the A90 Stonehaven bypass. There is now access southbound onto the A90 here, with traffic from the A92 southbound also joining the road. On the other side of the bypass, we come to a new roundabout where the A90 heads northwest along the Aberdeen Western Peripheral Route, with access from/to the northbound carriageway of the A90 (now A92 north of the junction). The B979 can be accessed using the first exit (from Stonehaven).
The road then bends sharply right and climbs up into the hills, rising some distance over the next few miles to reach a summit at Netherley. It continues north across the fields, descending gently and passing no places of any size before reaching the Dee valley. A T-junction is reached on the B9077 (former A943). This marks the original northern end of the B979.
In 1935 the road was extended to its current length. There is now a short multiplex east along the B9077 before the B979 regains its number and turns left. It runs along the entire length of the ex-B981, crossing the wide River Dee to reach Milltimber and a T-junction on the A93. There is then another multiplex back west for over a mile through the centre of Peterculter. The road then forks to the right, along what was the B980, to run above the Gormack Burn and climb out of town.
After crossing a small valley the road climbs up to a roundabout where it crosses the B9119 before skirting the western edge of Westhill to reach a T-junction on the A944. There is a short multiplex west across the fields before the B979 turns off to the right. It zigzags through the village of Kirkton of Skene and TOTSOs left on the far edge of the village. A road sign here quite unexpectedly points to an airport (presumably Dyce - but this is not stated).
The B979 now heads northeastwards and crosses a saddle. A short distance further on a crossroads is reached. The original B980 (and with it the 1935 B979 extension) turned left here to pass Mains of Tertowie and reach the A96 to the west of Blackburn. After World War II, however, this section was declassified and the B979 rerouted ahead onto a longer but wider road. "Wider" is of course relative and the B979, which has been steadily S2 for its whole route so far now becomes S1. It zigzags across the fields, descending gradually, before skirting the edge of Elrick Hill and winding through Clinterty Woods. Eventually a T-junction is reached on the A96 where a gap in the central reservation provides access to/from the eastbound carriageway.
Blackburn - Belscamphie
There is now a multiplex west for well over a mile to a roundabout at the eastern end of the Blackburn bypass. Then the multiplex continues along the pre-bypass A96 which for some reason has been numbered B973 (although some signs and some maps give it the B979 number instead). The B979 does not reappear until the centre of Blackburn where it turns right off the B973 and heads along Fintray Road, the original B996.
After leaving town the B979 crosses the fields to go over the Aberdeen to Inverness railway line. It then bends sharply right before zigzagging to cross the River Don to reach Hatton of Fintray, where the B977 comes in from the left. That road is then the dominant number in another multiplex for well over a mile north through the village then east until the B979 regains its number by turning left. The road becomes S1 once again as it goes over a hill and passes a golf course before bending sharply left then right and meeting the A947.
The B979's final multiplex begins here. It runs north through Newmachar before regaining its number by turning right almost on the far side of town. The road heads east across the fields and runs parallel for a short distance to a dismantled railway line, now a footpath. The road then TOTSOs left. Interestingly, the road ahead returns to the A947 to the south of Newmachar and therefore is a shorter route for through traffic on the B979, even though it is not signed as such.
The road crosses a bridge over the dismantled railway line and continues east. It undulates across the fields before going through the new estate of Kingseat, built on the site of the former Aberdeen Asylum. The road goes over one final ridge before its terminus at a T-junction on the B999, ending only a few miles short of reaching the A90 once more.