This article is about the former B969 near Balmoral in Aberdeenshire.
For the current B969 in Glenrothes, see B969
Near the northern end of the former B969 (now B976
The original course of the B969 ran north from Balmoral, Aberdeenshire, to the south east of the Cairngorms at Gairnshiel Lodge. It worked in conjunction with the B970, which also used to come this far as an alternative (although significantly longer) route to Ballater than the A93. The original route of the B969 followed the line of the old military road built by Major Caulfeild in the 1750s from Blairgowrie to Fort George via Braemar.
The original B969 near Balmoral
The route remained identical until 1935, when the southern end of the road was moved eastwards to join the A93 nearer Crathie. The B969 is still shown on the 1939 and 1944 printings of the Ten-Mile Road Map of Great Britain, but the 1946 edition shows it as part of an extended A939, with the former route of the B970 to Ballater now an extended B972. Then in the 1960s the A939 was rerouted into Ballater (thus taking over all the original route of the B970, and so (with the exception of the southern end which is now closed to traffic) the former B969 is now part of the extended B976.