|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||6.9 miles (11.1 km)|
|Met:||A96, B995, B997, A947|
|Now part of:||B977, B979|
|Route outline (key)|
The original route of the B996, as classified in 1922, was a fairly short B-road in east Aberdeenshire.
Leaving the A96 (present B973) in Blackburn the road headed north over the River Don into Hatton of Fintray. Leaving the river behind it zigzagged to the east to end on the A947 at Elrick, to the south of Newmachar.