|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||Broughty Ferry (NO457311)|
|Distance:||10.3 miles (16.6 km)|
|Meets:||A930, A92, B961, B9127, B9128|
|Route outline (key)|
The B978 is a medium-length B-road in south Angus. The road was originally unclassified but had gained its present number by 1932, making it an early example of a recycled number.
The road starts at traffic lights on the A930 Queen Street in Broughty Ferry, only a few blocks from the coast. The road heads away from the sea, however, running north along the winding Claypotts Road to reach traffic lights at a complicated junction with the old and current routes of the A92. There's a short multiplex east along the A92 as far as the next set of lights where the B978 turns left to regain its number and northerly course.
The road is now D2 as it passes a Sainsbury's and then an industrial estate before the road bears round to the left and becomes the S2 B961. There's an easy-to-miss TOTSO right and then a few hundred feet of multiplex with the B961 (where the B978 is dominant); that road turns right at what was the original junction between the two roads, a simple crossroads. We now continue north into open country.
As we cross the undulating fields there are a number of buildings lining the road and the occasional larger settlement, the first being Kellas. After crossing a bridge over an old railway line that has otherwise been assimilated completely into the surrounding fields we climb gently to cross a ridge, then descend to meet the B9127 at Kirkbuddo. There's then a short run to the east of a wood before the end of the road at a T-junction on the B9128.