|Location Map ( geo)|
|To:||Glen Clova (NO372650)|
|Distance:||21.5 miles (34.6 km)|
|Meets:||A926, B951, B956|
|Old route now:||A926|
|Route outline (key)|
The B955 essentially connects the town of Kirriemuir in central Angus to the head of Glen Clova, with the particularity that at its northern end it forms a long loop serving both sides of the glen.
The route starts on the western edge of Kirriemuir at a TOTSO on the A926, bypassing the town centre and heading northwest along Slade Road, at the end of which the B951 heads off westward towards Glen Isla. We continue north by northeast along Cortachy Road, from which two branches of the B956 run southeastward into the town centre: the B955 TOTSOs left at the first of these.
Having skirted the whole northwestern side of Kirriemuir (houses to our right, fields to our left) the road reaches a T-junction by the golf course on the northern edge of town. The B955 turns left here and, passing the golf course on our right, heads out into open country. We cross a couple of small valleys before reaching a driveway leading (right) to Cortachy Castle. The road then bends sharply to the right to cross the Prosen Water.
After passing Cortachy the road goes through Dykehead – neither place is particularly sizeable – and climbs onto a ridge above the River South Esk. This is followed for several miles, although by the time the road has reached Glenarm it is more-or-less in the bottom of the glen. This is Glen Clova and for the rest of its run the road will remain in the glen.
Half a kilometre further on, a classified road forks off to the right. This is also numbered B955, because it is in fact the return arm of our own road, which from this point continues up one bank of the River South Esk as far as the village of Clova, some 10 km north-north-west of here, before returning down the other side of the glen.
Following this loop in a clockwise direction, we continue upstream, on the western edge of the glen. The road skirts a couple of woods before bearing sharply right to cross the river by means of a narrow bridge and enter Clova. In front of the hotel (from where a dead-end minor road continues northwestward for a further 5 km to the foot of Glen Doll) the B955 bends sharply right to begin its downstream run.
Running now along the left (northeastern) bank of the river, the road runs passes through Wheen and Rottal as the glen widens out. Turning a little more to towards the south, the route continues for another 5 km before crossing the river and climbing to reach once more the Y-junction we noted some 20 km earlier, and the end of the itinerary as we have followed it here.
When first classified in 1922, the B955 number applied only to Lindsay Street and Morrison Street in Kirriemuir. However, by 1932 it had been extended to its full length into Glen Clova, following a short multiplex along the A926 in Kirriemuir. Indeed, the TOTSO is explained by the fact that this is the original route of the A926.
Much more recently, the route of the A926 has been moved within Kirriemuir, so that it now follows Lindsay Street to avoid the great loop around the north of the town. This means that the original B955 is now entirely numbered A926, but much of the old A926 route in the town has been renumbered to B955.