|To:||Bernard's Smithy (NT196880)|
|Distance:||2.4 miles (3.9 km)|
|Met (1961):||A92, A909, A907|
|Now part of:||B9157|
|Route outline (key)|
The second incarnation of the B924 was a rural link road in south Fife.
Starting on the then-A92 at what is now the site of the Braefoot roundabout, the road headed north under the railway line and then followed a fairly straight route across the hills, meeting no places of any size. After detouring around a loch the road continued more easterly to end at the Bernard's Smithy junction on the A909, which was at that time a simple crossroads. The road dead ahead was the A907.
The numbering history of roads in this part of Fife is somewhat confusing. The original route to carry the B924 number in 1922 was a few miles to the east in Kirkcaldy. By 1932, maps suggest that it had been declassified and that the section described above was the sole B924 in existnece. However, the two routes were linked by a section of the A907 that had been moved south from its original route. It is therefore a plausible theory, albeit without any evidence as yet, that the B924 was extended west from Kirkcaldy to Aberdour prior to the re-routing of the A907, meaning that both the early incarnartions existed simultaneously for a few years.
The original line of the A907 was briefly unclassified, before becoming an extension of the B925. However at some point since the early 1960s, the A907 has been moved back onto its original route. It seems likely that at the same time, the southerly ex-A907 was renumbered as the A987, mapping certainly shows that the former B924 at Aberdour carried this designation. However, in the mid-1980s the road was downgraded once more, and along with the former line of the A907 into Kirkcaldy, the route is now the B9157.