|Distance:||2.8 miles (4.5 km)|
|Now part of:||A85|
|Route outline (key)|
This, second iteration of the B911 was Dundee's Esplanade which later became Riverside Drive. The road itself exists on initial classification-era mapping, but only came into being as a classified route in the 1935 Road numbering revision. It linked the then-A85 Perth Road at Ninewells - still just about a village in its own right - to central Dundee at the pier from which the Tay ferry landed.
At some point between 1966 and 1969 (based on differing editions of the OS One Inch map) - and therefore soon after the opening of the Tay Road Bridge - the A85 switched to Riverside Drive away from Perth Road. Riverside Avenue, the westward continuation of the route, dates from at least a decade later as it is still not shown on the 1976 OS Landrange map, built partially along reclaimed land from the foreshore. The B911's original western end, where Riverside Drive turns north to meet Perth Road, is now unclassified, whilst the eastern end past the station and docks has been destroyed by later development.
This re-routing of the A85 meant that for a few years, perhaps until Riverside Avenue opened, the B911 followed Perth Road, the old route of the A85 into the city centre. Mapping evidence suggests that this was a straight swap of numbers and that there was no overlap of the two routes in Dundee.