B902 (Borrowstounness - Queensferry)
|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||10.7 miles (17.2 km)|
|Met:||A90, B800, B707, B903, A904|
|Now part of:||A904, B924|
|Route outline (key)|
The original B902 from 1922 was the main route west from the ferry port at Queensferry, this being four decades before the opening of the Forth Road Bridge. As such, it was an essential route for travellers from Fife to West Lothian, Falkirk, and arguably Glasgow with the first bridge over the Forth to be found in Stirling.
The eastern end of the road was at the point the A90 transferred onto the ferry across the Forth. This is presumably why the B902 was given a Class II number from the beginning as any non-ferry traffic could have taken the parallel A9. However, it became clear early on that an upgraded A-road designation was required. The A904, which had ended on this route in Bo'ness, was hastily applied along its length in the late 1920s or early 1930s.
That route remained unchanged until the opening of the Forth Road Bridge and approaches in 1964, when the A904 was rerouted inland to Echline Junction and the B924 brought back into use to cover the section bypassed. The B902 number had earlier been reused on a route north from Falkirk.
|B902 (Borrowstounness - Queensferry)|