|Distance:||32.5 miles (52.3 km)|
|Meets:||B976, A93, A980, B9119, A944, B994, A96, B9001, A947|
|Former Number(s):||A973, B975, A96|
|Route outline (key)|
The B993 is another of the lengthy Aberdeenshire B-roads that is now much longer than its original 1922 route.
Its current western end is on the B976 at Allancreich. The road heads east through a wood along a road and eventually reaches Potarch, where it crosses a narrow bridge over the River Dee and reaches a T-junction on the A93 immediately afterwards. There is a multiplex north alongside the river for over a mile before the B993 regains its number by turning right.
The road heads east, climbing out of the valley. Eventually it bears left to pass between two hills and descend to Torphins. It runs into town along Kincardine Road and crosses the A980 into The Square (which isn't). The road quickly leaves town and runs along the edge of a valley upstream, climbing in the process, to pass through a wood and contour round a hill to reach the B9119 (former A974) which is crossed at a staggered crossroads. The next few miles are winding and hilly (but with no actually steep hills) and occasionally wooded, with only the occasional public road met en route.
Presently the road reaches Millbank and with it the A944. There is then a multiplex west for well over a mile to Tillyfourie, which marks the original western end of the B993. The road turns sharply right to regain its number and runs northeastwards adjacent to a dismantled railway line for the next couple of miles. After this is crossed (at a point where no trace remains) the road descends into Monymusk which is in the valley of the River Don. The river is followed downstream, meeting the railway line again; this time the bridge abutments remain. The road then bends to the left and soon reaches Kemnay. It runs on the south side of town and meets the B994 on the far side. The B993 has to TOTSO left at this junction.
The road now heads north. It climbs out of the river valley and crosses occasionally wooded fields. After a couple of miles the river is reached once more but the road remains well above it. The road then bends to the right to cross the A96 at a roundabout at Port Elphinstone.
The road now heads north along Elphinstone Road, the pre-bypass route of the A96. Indeed, there was originally a multiplex here. The River Don is crossed into Inverurie, after which the road turns right at a mini-roundabout to run along St James's Place. At the far end the ex-A96 bears round to the left; this is now the B9001 and the B993 TOTSOs right. After going under the Aberdeen to Inverness railway line the road passes a cemetery to cross a narrow bridge over the River Urie. After heading south for a short distance the road then bends sharply left to regain its easterly course.
The next few miles consist of more of the same: undulating countryside with the occasional wood, few public roads and several scattered buildings, with a handful of sharp corners thrown in. Eventually the road reaches Whiterashes, where it ends at a T-junction on the A947.
Originally the B993 started on the A944 at Tillyfourie and followed the short route northeastwards to the A96 at Inverurie. The road from there to Whiterashes was originally unclassified but had become an extension of the B993 by 1932.
The most recent change to the route of the B993 took place with the construction of the A96 Inverurie bypass when the B993 took over part of the pre-bypass route.