|From:||Inverkeithing (S) (NT123817)|
|To:||Rosyth (N) (NT111846)|
|Distance:||2.3 miles (3.7 km)|
|Meets:||A90, B981, A985, A823(M), A823|
|Route outline (key)|
The B980 is a short link road in south Fife.
The road runs north from Ferrytoll Junction along Castlandhill Road and meets the A985 at a roundabout along with two local roads in Rosyth: Queensferry Road, which is the main road through Rosyth (and at one time formed part of the A823), and Holborn Place. The B980 multiplexes with the A985 for just under half a mile to the west before heading north as King's Road, terminating at Pitreavie at a roundabout which is the junction with the A823 and A823(M).
With the construction of the Forth Road Bridge in 1964 also came the A823(M) and the first part of the M90. The A823 designation was removed from the section between Ferrytoll and Pitreavie and replaced by the B980, which number had originally been used in Aberdeenshire.
The southern half of the B980's route follows the line of the old A823, which originally met the A90 at a junction on what is now the site of Ferrytoll Junction. The northern half runs along King's Road, which was originally a tramway between Dunfermline and Rosyth Dockyard. The tramway, which operated from 1918 to 1937, eventually had roads running either side of it, supposedly making it one of the earliest dual-carriageways in Scotland.