|From:||Cortachy Road (NO377545)|
|To:||St Malcolm's Wynd (NO383539)|
|Distance:||0.5 miles (0.8 km)|
|Old route now:||B957|
|Route outline (key)|
The B956 is a short B-road in the Angus town of Kirriemuir.
The road starts on the western edge of town on the B955 Cortachy Road and heads east along the residential Kinnordy Road. A road, Lochmill, soon comes in from the right; this is a spur of the B956 which meets the B955 slightly further south.
The B956 continues east along Glengate into the centre of town. Eventually it reaches a T-junction on the B957 one-way loop in the town centre and the B956 ends here.
When first classified in 1922, the B956 number was used for the short Bank Street to the east of Kirriemuir town centre; subsequent maps suggest that this may have become a forked end to the B957, although they are not large enough in scale to be certain, and the 1946 10 mile map does indeed still mark the B956 on the original route. However, Bank Street is indeed now part of the B957.
When the A926 was re-routed to the south of the town centre, its original long loop to the north became part of the B955 for the western arm and the B956 for the eastern arm. Whether the two parts of the B956 ever coexisted, however, is uncertain. It is also unclear whether Kinnordy Road was once a spur of the B955, as it is marked as an un-numbered B road while the A926 still looped around the town.